Zephyr Tech is a NZ based company that specializes in ‘Smart Fabric Technology’. They combine patented Smart Fabric sensor technology with novel algorithms and system design. Flexible and formable sensors detect and measure displacement, distance, force and pressure, strain, impact events and bio data.
Their latest product ‘Impact SF‘ holds promise for soldiers in the battlefield, or rather it will greatly assist the battlefield medics. Impact SF is a new solution for measuring impact – from slow collisions to ballistic impact. Using sensors and wireless connectivity, Impact SF is robust enough to withstand extreme environments.
Graphical diagnostic tools quantify an impact’s severity, direction and type, providing instant status updates and allowing evidence-based trauma diagnosis. Information is available in real time or can be stored for later use.
Impact SF Capabilities:
- Measures position of impact and energy
- Allows quantitative analysis of an impact’s severity, type and direction
- Enables blunt force human trauma diagnosis
- No restrictions to wearer of Impact SF garment
- Technology can be integrated into existing composite structures
- Real time and trend analysis via graphical display
- Wireless connectivity to other user interfaces
You can read their brochure (pdf) for a few more details and pretty pictures.
[Found via DefenseTech]