The GNOME Foundation announced last week the creation of the GNOME Mobile & Embedded Initiative (GMAE), and a software platform for user experience development across a wide range of device profiles. Here’s the site for this new initiative, to tell the truth it sounds exciting to me, a lot of the activities going on in the Embedded space and some in Mobile are generally where the ‘next big thing’ will come from in my opinion.
From the press release:
The GMAE Mission
The GNOME Mobile & Embedded Initiative will advance the use, development and commercialization of GNOME components as a mobile and embedded user experience platform. It brings together industry leaders, expert consultants, key developers and the community and industry organizations they represent. The initiative aims to:
- Increase community and commercial visibility of GMAE technology and participating organizations.
- Coordinate investment in the GTK+ and GNOME platform, documentation and developer tools.
- Increase development focus on the “mobile experience”, particularly the integration of GNOME desktop and GMAE technology.
- Facilitate healthy development collaboration between participating organizations, the GNOME community and related projects; and between GNOME platform, desktop and GMAE developers.
- Pursue standardization opportunities for the platform, and potentially at the user experience level.
- Ensure that Software Freedom is a reality beyond the desktop, and available in the hands of users around the world.
For a list of the technologies under consideration and the founding organizations participating from the get go can also be found in the press release above. Partners involved span from Intel to Nokia to Debian and many more.