I’m a Fan of…This is a shout-out to one my favorite web services and mobile apps MyFitnessPal . It's helped me on a path to losing a lot of weight and getting more fit. I'm 55 pounds lighter in the last 9 months on my fitness journey and have another 30 pounds to go. If you use the service, you can add me: andy_geek
Life Is Fun!Create your own uniquely awesome photo with Fotor, the free online photo editor.
- Scientists develop ‘playbook’ for reverse engineering tissue
- Fish Exposed to Antidepressants Exhibit Altered Behavioural Changes
- Toddlers ‘surprisingly sophisticated’ at understanding unfamiliar accents
- HIV+ women respond well to HPV vaccine
- Cancer drugs block dementia-linked brain inflammation
- Building Better Soybeans for a Hot, Dry, Hungry World
- New Study Outlines ‘Water World’ Theory of Life’s Origins
- Gene panel screens dozens of genes for cancer-associated mutations
- More should be done for female parolees
- Hair from infants gives clues about their life in the womb
My Friend Says
- New report sheds light on why Hulu is an absolute mess
- One-time Bitcoin king Mt. Gox nears the end of the road
- More signs point to the Galaxy S5 being a winner
- These are the OnePlus One launch markets
- Microsoft is giving Cortana Google Now-like powers
- Blizzard’s free World of Warcraft card game Hearthstone is now available worldwide on iPad
Wise AdviceTradeTang gives you the best electronic gadgets.
Words of WisdomBest cell phones for sale from our partner.
- Announcement (55)
- Buddhism (1)
- China (5)
- Computers (200)
- Conspiracy (8)
- Entertainment (188)
- Gadgets / Devices (290)
- Games (119)
- Green / Eco Friendly (31)
- Hacks n Tweaks (36)
- History Geek (37)
- Just geeky (341)
- Medical (45)
- Military (43)
- Misc. (84)
- Mysteries (22)
- News Links (96)
- RPG (19)
- Science (191)
- Social (4)
- Software (119)
- Stumble of the Day (76)
- Superheroes (51)
- Video Games (8)
- Web (117)
- Webcomic: Lost in the underflow (6)
- What Is That? (37)
- Where Is That?? (1)
- Word Geek (37)
University of Illinois researchers have built a better plant, one that produces more leaves and fruit without needing extra fertilizer. The researchers accomplished the feat using a computer model that mimics the process of evolution. Theirs is the first model to simulate every step of the photosynthetic process.
This is one of those situations where you can invest your time more wisely programming and leveraging a supercomputer to work through all the possible experiments much much faster than working through the permutations in the lab.
By rearranging the investment of nitrogen, we could almost double efficiency. An obvious question that stems from the research is why plant productivity can be increased so much. Why haven’t plants already evolved to be as efficient as possible?
Hierakonpolis was one of the largest urban settings in Egypt along the Nile over 5000 years ago. Hierakonopols also claims the title to the earliest recorded zombie attack in history.
In 1892, a British dig there unearthed a tomb containing a decomposed body, whose brain had been infected with the ‘zombie’ virus, Solanum. In addition, thousands of scratch marks adorned every surface of the tomb as if the corpse had tried to claw it’s way out.
Link to the archeology report.
Just in case you haven’t been following gadget news lately, Amazon released the ‘Kindle‘ which is kinda sorta like an e-book. At US$399 it better be one helluva good electronic reader.
It’s not known how many they made in their first run of devices from the factory but it sold out in the first 24 hours so that should help generate a little more buzz.
What might sour that buzz some would be honest reviews like this one by Doug Kaye: Kindle, Day One. Doug was one of the first recipients of the device and is able to put together a very fair though unfavorable review. Part of it is based on his experiences with the Sony Reader (PRS-505) which costs $100 less than the Kindle.
Blizzard is resorting to Mr.T and William Shatner to pitch for World of Warcraft. This is either really funny and effective to get us old farts engaged with WoW that haven’t been bitten by the bug yet. Or they’re not funny because the viewer is too young to have a clue as to who Mr. T is and thinks Shatner’s claim to fame is Boston Legal.