Blizzard Confirms Diablo III
IGN has extensive Diablo III coverage this weekend from Blizzard’s Worldwide Invitational event in Paris, France.
Here’s the nitty gritty, or just jump to the bottom of this article and play the gorgeous video of the Barbarian!
The new game’s synopsis:
Diablo III picks up the story twenty years after the events of Diablo II. Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal have been defeated, but the Worldstone, which once shielded the inhabitants of the world of Sanctuary from the forces of both Heaven and Hell, has been destroyed, and evil once again stirs in Tristram. Playing as a hero from one of five distinct character classes, players will acquire powerful items, spells, and abilities as they explore new and familiar areas of Sanctuary and battle hordes of demons to safeguard the world from the horrors that have arisen.
Then head over to this article on Blizzard’s class and skill creation or the IGN interview with Blizzard’s executive vice-president of game design Rob Pardo for details on how the gameplay has evolved since Diablo II.
There’s also a summary of Blizzard’s Diablo III Art and Narrative Design panel, where members of the development team talk about the game’s visual style. A highlight:
“Stylization, sometimes people can equate that with being a little bit cartoony or a Disney art style but that’s really not what we’re going after with the Diablo art style here. We understand, looking back at Diablo and Diablo II, the universe is very dark…There’s a certain level of grit and realism we want to bring to the game but at the same time it’s important to take the player into a fantasy realm…If we simply took photographs and applied that to a bunch of polygons, that’s really not us doing our job.”
- Five powerful character classes to choose from, including the barbarian and witch doctor
- Brand-new 3D graphics engine enhanced with spectacular visual effects and Havok physics
- Numerous indoor and outdoor areas detailing new regions in the world of Sanctuary
- Interactive environments with dangerous traps and obstacles, and destructible elements
- Randomly generated worlds bolstered by scripted events for endless and dynamic gameplay
- Vast assortment of fiendish monsters, with unique attack patterns and behaviors
- New quest system and character-customization options for the ultimate action RPG experience
- Multiplayer functionality over Battle.net with support for cooperative and competitive play